R is for Ridge Patterns


This topic really excited me, but apparently my excitement was better spent in the warm sunshine today than writing up my post. The information on tonight’s topic comes from the Forensics: A Guide for Writers book.

Ok, so ridge patterns, or fingerprints, are used to identify people, suspects and now, teachers. Everyone has fingerprints that form in utero, but how many and where they are located gives them their uniqueness. Each fingerprint you have is independently unique. Even DNA sharing identical twins’ ridge patterns differ.

Certain nefarious individuals try to eliminate their ridge patterns by burning or shaving off the pads of their finger. Unfortunately for them, you can never permanently remove your fingerprints. They always come back after some healing time. 

I’m going to give you a quick break down of the three patterns, so take a look at your fingers while you read.

Arches (5% of population): “ridgelines that rise in the center to create a wave-like pattern.” 
Tented Arch

Plain Arch


Loops (60% of population): “one or more ridges that double back on themselves to produce a loop pattern.”
Single Loop

Double Loop

Whorls (35% of population): “look like little whirlpools of ridgelines.”
Target Whorl

Spiral Whorl

What kind of patterns did you find on your fingers and thumbs? 

Comments

How fun these are kind of cool and how unique we all are is amazing.
Interesting, although I'm not sure what I have. My fingers are too dry and worn.Possibly plain arch.
How interesting! I love things like this.

Popular posts from this blog

Nomenclature: Help Name My Characters!

I Found What Where?: A Captivated Audience

Inspirational Blogfest: Wake Up Your Writing Genius