What is NCF Tuesday?



gebasports.org
Audacity comes to mind when I encourage you to visit my blog, dazzling with clever topics and expressive sentences, asking for comments, receiving nothing from me in return. Shouldn’t I offer you something for visiting?

You might want to sit down for this one.

So, I got to thinking.    

Several blogs I follow sum up the week on Fridays.  Amie Kaufman does her “BTW” post talking about life beyond her blog, literary items of interest and updating her readers on what she’s reading.  Nathan Bransford updates his devout followers on the week’s literary news in “This Week in Books”.

To generate more followers, I am taking a tip from the well-established bloggers and setting up a weekly blog post that keeps you abreast with evocative literary News, a rundown of ongoing writing Contests and silly Fun as an attempt to lighten the mood.  A newsletter of sorts.     

Don’t worry, the brainstorming didn’t end here.

Not to be outdone by other bloggers I am choosing another day to show my gratitude for following my insane journey.  Besides, on Friday, I impress you with my extensive knowledge on writing.  Mondays.  I don’t think elaboration is necessary on this dreaded day of the week.  Wednesday and Thursday are previously engaged.  So, Tuesday it is!

Let’s be honest.  Chances are it will blow up in my face. But who doesn’t love to watch an explosion every once in a while? And I’m always willing to sacrifice my pride for a bit of entertainment. Shall we get this crazy Tuesday party started?

News

Business

Currently, I’m trying to build a freelance career with zero marketing expertise.  I came across a blog post by writer and marketing pro Guy LeCharles Gonzalez, “Marketing Yourself in the Digital Age,”  providing notes from his presentation at the 2011 Writer’s Digest Conference. Three marketing book recommendations can be found there as well. One of them can be read in its entirety for free online.  Yes, that’s right.  Free!

Libraries Disappearing

The digital age swept in and took everyone by surprise.  The financial crisis has government cutting budgets to save money. Libraries are getting hit hard.  Texas state budget almost completely cut library funds affecting most of the 561 public libraries.  In England, read-ins are scheduled for Feb. 5, 2011 along with protests against the plans to close almost 40 libraries around the country.

Some of the public response shows the disinterest in the libraries with all the information made available through the Internet and e-books.  Sorry, but Wikipedia isn’t the ultimate information location. 

What about individuals who don’t have access to this technology?  Lower socio-economic families require libraries because they can’t afford Barnes and Noble visits to satisfy their child’s hunger for reading or trips to Best Buy to stay up-to-date with the latest gadgets. 

Several inner city schools I taught at didn't have well stocked libraries and were rarely used. Many of my students complained about the hour cuts at their local libraries, which made it hard for them to borrow books.  So, Administration strongly encouraged me to build my own classroom library to give my students access to books. 

I’m the first to jump on the technology bandwagon, but we need to be cautious with our dependence on it.  Education is failing in America, especially in low socio-economic areas.  All information and reading should be available to everyone, not just the ones who can afford it.   

Contests

Writer’s Digest
o   Grand Prize: $3,000
o   Deadline: May 2, 2011
-       Your Story #32
o   For fun

-       First Place Prize: $1,200
-       Very Short Fiction Deadline: January 31, 2011


The 4th Sort-of-Annual Stupendously Ultimate First Paragraph Challenge
           - Deadline: 4 pm Thursday, January 27, 2011
-       First Prize: $250
-       Deadline: March 31, 2011


Fun

Joke:
A writer died and was given the option of going to heaven or hell.
She decided to check out each place first. As the writer descended into the fiery pits, she saw row upon row of writers chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they were repeatedly whipped with thorny lashes.
"Oh my," said the writer. "Let me see heaven now."
A few moments later, as she ascended into heaven, she saw rows of writers, chained to their desks in a steaming sweatshop. As they worked, they, too, were whipped with thorny lashes.
"Wait a minute," said the writer. "This is just as bad as hell!"
"Oh no, it's not," replied an unseen voice. "Here, your work gets published."

Riddle:
What is special about the sentence below?  If you’re the first one to answer correctly you win a free 4,000 word critique.

"I love to mimic the right eye of my dad, which works like a radar, which is again similar to a rotator.” 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insecure Writer's Support Group:Overwhelmed

Nomenclature: Help Name My Characters!

Inspirational Blogfest: Wake Up Your Writing Genius