Insecure Writer's Support Group:Destination Write


Source

Inspired by Syfy’s Destination Truth and host funny man Josh Gates, I plan to set out on a journey to write. Instead of searching for the truth behind myths and legends, I’m searching for places where my ideas will flow unhindered to the page.

Writing at home for the most part is successful and gratifying for me. But, some days my writing area just doesn’t cut it. I’ll spend the majority of the time devising strategies to get around writer’s block or coming up with new ways to outrun devious distractions, instead of writing. I’m exhausted. My self-confidence is depleted.

A wise writer once said, “You need to show up at the same time in the same place if you want your muse to find you.” What if the “same time, same place” isn’t a physical location, but a mental one?

Writers and many other artists get trapped in the interiors of their minds. They dodge booby traps set by fear and self-doubt. I believe this mental perpetrator can be outwitted by finding the right time and place in my mind to create. So, in an attempt to quell the overwhelming storm of inadequacy and failure, I devised a plan.

I put together a list of different places to write (i.e., park, library, Barnes & Noble, café, food court in mall, etc.) and wrote them on pieces of paper. Those pieces of paper went into a bag, which will be pulled at random during the week when writing at home turns into a chore and my inspiration screams for resuscitation.

Hopefully on this adventure, the random locations will nurture my creativity and help me avoid Internet distractions. Ultimately, strengthening my writing style, rhythm and imagination.  

Keep in mind, no two writers approach writing the same way. What works for me, won’t necessarily work for you. Each of us explores a self-made path to success. You’ll know what works for you when you can breathe deep and your ideas flow to the page.


What works best for your writing, a physical or mental place?

Comments

Jessica Salyer said…
Interesting idea. I often go to a park to write because it doesn't have internet. Good luck with your adventure.
Ella said…
I love this idea; I am struggling today with an art challenge. I made up my mind today was the day. So far the muse isn't cooperating, but it doesn't help that my college aged son came home with a friend. They are loud and keep coming to visit me...augh!!!! I am going to try your idea!
I'm most comfortable at home next to an open window where I can gaze out at what's going on just outside.
CA Heaven said…
I mostly write in air planes and hotel rooms. That's when I can find some quiet time to concentrate >:)

Cold As Heaven
Anonymous said…
I just need a place to be. It can be quiet, loud, confusing, whatever. Its usually loud around here all the time. I get used to it. As long as I have a chair and a PC, iMac, or laptop, I'm good to go.
Green Monkey said…
oh I love it when that happens... when the ideas flow onto the page. It's pure magic. I currently write in bed I bought a really expensive chair that reclines but its not ideal. I redid my loft to include my office space. It's lovely and yet, I don't write here. I think I'll take a cue from you and try someplace public.
Jessica Bell said…
I am so certain I commented on this post already ... :-/ Hmmm, anyway, though I'd like to say, 'mental place' I don't think that's true. I write much better in an inspiring environment. And I need quiet.
Ann said…
I have given this idea some thought. Hope it helps your creative juices and wonderful words flow onto the page.

Let me know if it works!!
L. Diane Wolfe said…
I've never stared at a blank page or screen - when it's time to write, I just sit down and start writing. It's a mental state, but one I can turn on and off.
Location probably affects me more. If I'm struggling, I just leave my office and sit with my notepad at the kitchen table or on the couch. I need a simple surrounding with no distractions!
ShanLeigh said…
What great insight: "Writers and many other artists get trapped in the interiors of their minds."

I wish you look on this journey. I, for one, have been seriously neglecting me writing (for other, more important things, admittedly) but I miss it terribly. And wish that somehow, someway, there were more hours in a day to take the time to breath, relax, and WRITE.

Someday. Hopefully.
TMWHickman said…
I like your idea of having different spaces so you can switch around. I carry a 'journal' around with me so if the muse hits I can drop everything and write.

I often think that it would be nice to take a detour into the park near where I work, sit at a picnic table and just write for lunch.

I think I'll try that this week!
Donna Shields said…
I would have to say mental. I can pretty much be anywhere when I decide to sit down and write, but I have to be in the 'zone'.

Popular posts from this blog

Nomenclature: Help Name My Characters!

Inspirational Blogfest: Wake Up Your Writing Genius

Insecure Writer's Support Group:Overwhelmed