Bugs Bunny vs Yosemite Sam


I just left Barnes and Noble in a frenzy.  They were closing up and I hadn't finished reading the magazine article from Poets & Writers.  Luckily, my smartphone (T-Mobile G2) has a Microsoft Office app, allowing me to write down all the new magazines I was perusing and online literary journals I wanted to check out.  Driving home in the car, a wave of euphoria passed through me and I couldn't wait to write.
  
The holidays proved to be more than my simple mind could handle.  Like every woman, I inherently posses the ability to multitask, but unfortuantely I reach maximum overload when I've gone over 20 tasks.  Then, my creative flow goes on strike.  I sit down to write and nothing comes out.  I avoid my computer, indulge in T.V. shows and movies, but the issue at hand always finds me. (Cue ominous music)  WRITER'S BLOCK.    

The past month or so I've worried my creativity might disappear for good.  As though the entire thing was a fluke.  Preparing for Thanksgiving and Christmas required a tremendous amount of concentration.  I made lists of my daily tasks, including writing.  The internal battle to be creative or responsible ensued.  Responsibility came out the winner.  I kept pushing my creativity to the wayside.    

It reminded me of a Looney Tunes episode with Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam duking it out over a small western town in "Bugs Bunny Rides Again."  Neither of them wants to leave, but the town wasn't big enough for the two of them.  They try everything to expel the other. 

My favorite scene, besides the horse chase, was when Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam pulled guns out on each other and resorted to juvenile retorts.  "Oooooo no I ain't!"  "Oooooo yes you are!"  This continues for a minute.  I am usually left in tearful hysterics.    

Yes, a scene that plays out in my mind often when I feel overwhelmed.  Frustration and again, fear of failure take over.  Writing and creativity escaple me, while I'm stay on top of errands and chores.  There isn't enough brain power for the both of them. 

Right now, it comes down to a scarifice: my anal retentiveness for my creativity or vice versa.  It's one thing or the other.  Never both.   I need to figure out a way to have both of them peacefully coexist before one is pushed off a cliff.  My creativity needs to find its way to the top of my priority list, as opposed to the lack of respect it receives now.   
While I work through my mini-personal crisis, tell me what you do to maintain your creative flow.  How do you deal with the day-to-day minutiea and set aside time to write?     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insecure Writer's Support Group:Overwhelmed

Nomenclature: Help Name My Characters!

Inspirational Blogfest: Wake Up Your Writing Genius