Who Cares About An Oxford Comma?

Source

Alias: Series Comma. 

I didn't care for the longest time. I'm sure it was during some class in college when I found out I didn't have to use this extra comma. And because the Grammar Police highly suggested its use, I threw it out of my writing tool box. Just to give a big F U to the establishment. 

That was until the establishment hired me to write website copy for small businesses. Then, as per the house style, I was expected to include this uptight comma. It took a while for me to get used to including it in my copy, but after writing 3-4 websites a day, 5-days-a-week, it became second nature.

Now, I find myself using it in my own writing without even thinking. The rebellious spark within me still glows hot, but is it really such a big deal? It's interesting to see what happens when you make a habit of something. After doing it every day, it becomes second nature. There are plenty of other writing rules out there I can snub my nose at, so I concede victory to the stodgy grammarians.   

The Oxford Comma: Yay or Nay?


In the meantime, enjoy Vampire Weekend's aptly titled song "Who Gives a Fuck About An Oxford Comma?" and break some rules! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Insecure Writer's Support Group:Overwhelmed

Nomenclature: Help Name My Characters!

Inspirational Blogfest: Wake Up Your Writing Genius