Romance Novels Dangerous?
Alison Flood reports on author and psychologist Susan Quilliam’s statement about the affect romance novels have on her clients’ unrealistic view of love. Quilliam believes the women get wrapped up in the romantic fiction and struggle to distinguish between fantasy and reality.
Do you think a romance novel can really alter a reader’s perspective of love in the real world?
Chatting with Beverly Clearly
Rachel Brown interviews beloved author Beverly Clearly at age 95. Clearly talks about writing children’s literature, balancing her family life with her writing career and her two published memoirs.
If you could, which of your favorite author’s as a child would you like to interview?
Bringing Poetry and Painting Together
Take a look at 11 slides of the art collaboration between poet Edward Mayes and painter Alberto Alfonso. The two men combined provocative first-line titled poems and rich colorful paintings. One of my favorites was the excerpt from “God and Offal, Light and Viscera, and We Are Not.”
Has a piece of art ever inspired your writing?
Glimmer Train Literary Journal
- Very Short Fiction Award; 3,000 words or less
- First Place Prize: $1,200, publication in Glimmer Train Stories, and 20 copies of that issue
- Deadline: July 30, 2011
- Spring 2011 Story Contest: Fiction and Nonfiction of 15,000 words or less
- First Place Prize: $3,250, considered for publication
- Deadline: July 31, 2011
Writer’s Digest Magazine
- Short Short Writing Competition
o Fiction: 1,500 words or less
o First Place Prize: $3,000 and a trip to the Writer’s Digest Conference
o Deadline: November 15, 2011
- 5-Minute Memoir, “Tales From the Writing Life”
o Personal Essay (600 words or less)
o Prize: Publication in Writer’s Digest magazine
o Deadline: Rolling submissions
Zoetrope All-Story Magazine
- Fifteenth Annual All-Story Short Fiction Contest: 5,000 words or less
- First Place Prize: $1,000, online publication and possible representation
- Deadline: October 3, 2011
- Third Annual Poetry Contest
- Unpublished, all poetic forms and genres, except translations.
- First Place Prize: $1,500 and publication
- Deadline: July 16, 2011
Writer’s Digest Magazine
- 7th Annual Poetry Awards Competition
o Poetry: 32 lines or less
o First Place Prize: $1,500 and a trip to the Writer’s Digest Conference
o Deadline: December 1, 2011
To help you get ready for the premiere of the final Harry Potter movie (so excited!!), check out this Funny or Die video from Daniel Radcliffe. Enjoy!